Points, headlands, capes
Anchorstock Point The earlier name was The-Beach-where-the-anchorstock-wash-up. The point is the place where the anchor-stock of an American privateer was washed ashore more than a hundred years ago. The point was called West Point on the Survey mad by Captain Denham in 1852.
Big Point This is the northernmost point of the island, often simply called the Point. On one versin of the Admiralty Chart (1937) the point is marked as Hagan Point after Andrew Hagan, the American who arrived in 1849. On Denham's Survey the name is Haygun Point.
Black Cliff Point This point is situated just north of the Ridge.
Boatharbour Point The point at the south-west end of Boatharbour.
Bull Point A place where there used to be fights between sea-elephant bulls.
Cave Point Cf Crawford Point.
Crawford Point This point was earlier called Cave Point, as there are caves along this coast, but it was renamed by the Admiralty after Allan Crawford.
Daley Point This point is named after William Daley, an American who arrived in 1836.
East End of Sandy Point See Sandy Point.
East End of Jew's Point Jew's Point is a collective name for East and West End of Jew's Point as well as the intervening country. The name refers to a Jew who was rescued from the Joseph Somes, which exploded off Halfway Beach in 1856.
Farmost Point This point is also called Rookery Point. It seems to correspond to Torch Point found on Denham's Survey (1852) as well as the Admiralty chart (1939). This name is from HMS Torch, the tender of Captain Denham's ship, HMS Herald.
Glass Point This point was named after Corporal William Glass, the Governor of the island up to 1853.
Green Head The name is from Pter Green who was shipwrecked on Tristan in 1836 and died there in 1902.
Hagan Point See Big Point.
Hardy Point This point is near West point of the island.
Herald Point The name is from Captain Denham's ship HMS Herald. It is usually referred to as Hottentot Point by the islanders ('Hotner Point'), Tradition reports that there were Hottentots among the original garrison from the Cape.
Little Beach Point This is the point between Big Beach and Little Beach. It is sometimes also called Malcolm Point after Fort Malcolm, an earthwork built by Captain Cloete in 1816. On Crawford's Survey of the Settlement the point is named Julia Point after the brig Julia. Cf Julia Reef.
Lowcliff Point This is one of the old names appearing on Denham's Survey (1852).
Lyon Point This point was so named by Crawford after Rear-Admiral D'Oyly Lyon, the Commander-in-Chief of the African Station at Simonstown. When referred to from the south is was called the West-End-of-Trypot, and when referred to from the north side it was called the East-End-of-Noisy-Beach by the islanders.
Marie Riley Point This lies just east of Herald Point. It was named after Marie Riley, who assisted the Rev. W.F. Taylor in teaching the younger children in the 1850's.
Miller Point As this name is indicated on Denham's Survey (1852), it must refer to Peter Miller, a Dane who arrived in 1836.
Rookery Point See Farmost Point.
Sandy Point This is the easternmost point of the island.
South Point The southernmost point of the island, only indicated on Denham's Survey.
Stonybeach Point A point in Stony Beach.
Stonyhill Point A point southeast of Stony Hill.
Taylor Head Probably named after Charles Taylor who arrived in the late 1830's. The name is, however, not indicated in Denham's Survey.
West End of Jew's Point See East End of Jew's Point.